IPU Vent TRAP Tank Breather
Even with good fuel housekeeping procedures, water and particle contamination can get into storage tanks through the atmosphere. Night-to-day temperature changes cause tanks to slowly inhale and exhale. As biodiesel is hygroscopic it absorbs water from any new air it comes into contact with. The inhale-exhale process also enables dust and other wear particles to come into contact with your fuel. To protect your diesel, we recommend installing an IPU Vent TRAP (Thermally Reactive Advanced Protection) tank breather which removes moisture from incoming air and, during the exhale cycle, passes dry air through the vent trap purging moisture from the filter.
Reduces the risk of water contamination in diesel fuel
Removes moisture at humidity levels as low as 15%
A vent TRAP removes moisture from incoming air and purges moisture from the filter during the exhale cycle.
IPU Vent TRAP tank breather provides:
- Reduced risk of water contamination in diesel fuel
- Extended life when compared with standard desiccant filters
- Superior moisture blocking compared with desiccant filters
- Removes moisture at humidity levels as low as 15%
- Retains filtration effectiveness during cold temperatures as it will not freeze in winter
- Removes up to 97% of water from moisture laden air as it enters the fuel tank.
- Self-regenerating moisture adsorption
Why is water considered a contaminant of diesel?
- Water corrodes metal components which leads to the formation of harmful solid particulates
- Water reduces fuel lubricity which could cause close tolerance assemblies in fuel injectors to seize
- Water contributes to the development of corrosive acids
- Water causes explosive damage to fuel injector tips if it becomes super-heated during combustion
- Water is one of the key ingredients in the formation of diesel bug
By fitting a Vent TRAP you are reducing the risk of water entering your tank. The Vent TRAP will remove up to 97% of water from moist air as it enters the tank. The IPU Vent TRAP provides longer life, lower maintenance and superior moisture-blocking when compared with standard desiccant filters.
How the Vent TRAP tank breather works
The Vent TRAP breather removes moisture from incoming air. During the exhale cycle it passes dry air through the vent trap, purging moisture from the filter.
||97% efficient at 3 microns
|Max. combined flow rate
|Overflow check valve
||Opens at 10mbar, 4” H2O
||-40 to +93 °C (-40 to +200 °F)
||Safe for use with all diesel fuels and lubricants
||363 (h) x 177 (d)
||ABS housing, urethane end caps
||1½” NPT female
- For use with all diesel fuels and lubricantsAbove and below ground tanks
- Above and below ground tanksMobile service trucks
- Mobile service trucks
- Indoor or outdoor applications
- Indoor or outdoor applicationsMost tanks up to 40,000 litres (large tanks may require multiple units)
- Most tanks up to 40,000 litres (large tanks may require multiple units)
- They should only be installed on tanks with emergency vents and should be sized so the clean pressure drop is less than half the tank’s working pressure.